MACHINE SHOP MANAGER
Reporting to the Head of Engineering and the Managing Director:
- Work with machine operators to help set, programme, and run a range of vertical and horizontal borers, milling machines, lathes, to produce a wide range of one-off and small batch components, bespoke machining services. Work with fitters and welders to oversee refurbishment and assembly work
- Supervision of machine shop personnel, dealing with minor matters and ensuring processes adhered to
- Carry out technical reviews of new sales orders, identify best methods and instruct Planning Engineer for production of route cards
- Work with Production Manager to ensure jobs are scheduled in most efficient way
- Work with Quality Manager to ensure clients’ specification met and quality performance is maintained
- Work with Sales Engineers to assess enquiries and opportunities
- Instruct Stores Manager where needed to ensure best tooling in place for job
This position would suit someone who is apprenticeship-trained as a machinist, and may already be working in a supervision role.
Experience in precision CNC machining facility
Driven and motivated for efficient working, proactive for metal cutting and machines running
High standards of quality workmanship, cleanliness, and presentation.
A calm and respectful management style, and good listening skills
Knowledge of safe working practices in machine shop environment
Experience in measurement (manual equipment)
Knowledge of employment law, HR best practice; however this role is supported by the HR Manager
Knowledge of H&S management and legislation; however this role is supported by the H&S Manager
Experience in very large/heavy components; however training will be given
This is a succession planning role, with clear route for progression and potential for development and higher earnings. We offer an excellent range of benefits including subsidised canteen, life insurance, medical insurance, health cash plan, pension, flexible working. We are an ambitious, secure, forward-looking family business with a strong order book and an open, honest culture.
Working hours: Basic 0700-1630 Mon-Thurs, Fri 0600-1300, weekends 0700-1200 on rota with others (less than once a month). A flexible approach is required and overtime to suit business requirements, sharing supervision responsibilities with the management team, to ensure cover for a 24-hour facility.
Application deadline: 05/07/2021
Expected start date: 09/08/2021
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: £50,000.00 per year
COVID-19 considerations: We manage Covid risks on site very pro-actively, with a focus on ventilation, fresh air, air monitoring, as well as distancing, reduced numbers of people in work areas, face coverings where required, and lots of handwashing facilities etc.